Monday, February 3, 2014

Tips and Tricks: How to Wear a Spring Dress in Winter

It’s still cold.  UGH.

Even though I am so over winter, I begrudgingly admit that winter is not over.  What’s more, if you believe in the weather predictions of rodents, then we are still in for another 6 weeks (thanks for nothing, Punxsutawney Phil).

Thanks to the weather, there have been many mornings that I have found myself just staring at my closet, longing for the lightness and ease of my spring clothes and dreading another day in cable knits (which is saying something, because I love me a cable knit).  Then last week it hit me- I may not be able to wear my spring dress on its own, but what if I threw on a couple of extra layers?  Could I possibly be warm enough?  Did I DARE to think that just a little layering could take a springy dress from 50 above to 50 below? 

The answer: Yes I did…AND IT WORKED!  

The key to my success?  The basic tshirt dress. 

Oh, how I love a basic tshirt dress.  It looks good on everyone (even while pregnant), comes in a zillion colors in patterns, is available at every price point, can be worn all year round, and is easy to wash and wear (which makes them kid friendly and even more fabulous).  Seriously, what's not to love?

My winter-ized way to wear: pair a fitted tshirt dress with leggings, riding boots, and an oversized cardigan.  Top with a scarf, add a small earring, and VOILA- dressed!  This is a look that can even go to work with you on a casual Friday (or all week long in a more casual office like mine).

No leggings?  Try opaque black tights. 
No fitted dress?  A flowy tee dress looks great with a classic cardigan. 
No excuses for why you can’t wear spring clothes now!  Hey, if you can’t beat ‘em, layer ‘em!


"Winter to Spring- The Tee Dress" by vfriedman on Polyvore

No comments:

Post a Comment