Saturday, November 9, 2013


Like most moms, I’m often pressed for time in the mornings.  I’m perpetually squeezing in “five more minutes” of sleep and running through the morning routine: dressing the kiddo, walking the dog, collecting various bags, school supplies, and the occasional coffee cup, and all the while hoping that I am vaguely in the realm of being on time for work. 

My secret to staying chic even with just minutes to dress?  A uniform!

Now, before you start reliving (and recoiling at) your days of plaid and polos, check out my list of necessities.  My “uniform” is simply a collection of classic pieces that all work together to keep me looking pulled together, fashionable, and maybe even a little sexy (on a BUDGET, no less)…yet still easy enough that I can be dressed and ready to roll in under 5 minutes.  Intrigued?  Then read on, and hopefully be inspired to create your own uni!
 

The Necessities:

A Striped T: Channel a little Parisian-chic with a classic stripe in black or navy.It’s an easy way to inject a little pattern into your look.In the mood for some color?Toss on a pair of colorful flats or a bold handbag and voila!Instant chic!Pictured is a tee from J Crew, but I find that Loft has cute stiped tops (and as a bonus, 40% off flash sales)!

The Chambray Shirt: I wear mine at least once a week. It’s another staple- you can blend it in with work wear (try a pencil skirt or use a tailored version to dress down a suit), throw it on with jeans for an outing with the kiddos (just wear a darker shade of denim on the bottom to avoid the Canadian Tuxedo look), or even wear it with something sparkly for a date night look.Try Gap and Old Navy (if you are a card member they always send coupons), or Madewell.

A Fisherman Sweater: A cable knit in classic cream is a winter staple.It’s cozy but can be layered, dressed up for work or down for the park, and will still give you an air of sophistication while sipping cocoa with the kids.

The Go-Everywhere Dress: Every woman needs a dress that can be worn from the most casual event to a formal affair with a simple change of accessories.Trust and believe, this dress does exist.Look for a jersey knit in a basic color (black, gray, or navy) with at least one special detail (like the hemline in the picture below).My favorite are from All Saints.

A motorcycle inspired coat or leather jacket: Adds just the right amount of edge for any outfit.My absolute favorite is a leather jacket, but as I have (sadly) learned the hard way, leather and kids don’t always mix.True story: walking out the door on my first day back after maternity leave, my poor cognac leather blazer was the victim of friendly fire in the form of spit up from my daughter’s morning breast milk binge. The leather quickly turned from smooth chocolate to mottled mess.The lesson? If you have small children, consider faux leather (it has a wipe and wear quality and is harder to stain) or choose a wool blend coat with a moto“look”.

A Cross Body Bag:Hands free is key when you have little ones to chase after!Invest in a durable, quality leather bag that is large enough for all of your essentials but still easy to wear across your body.I will say that I am a fan of a nice bag, like this Coach style.

Ballerina flats:My pick is always the Tory Burch Reva flat. They come in a zillion colors and patterns, and the logo is like jewelry for your feet!They are a splurge but add a nice designer touch and last forever.

Black Ankle Boots:Another wear-with-everything staple.I always go for a low (2 inches or less) heel. My favorite pair are from All Saints (which I got 50% off, thank you), but you can find this staple at virtually any price point.

A Knit Beanie:A true lifesaver for a bad hair day. Your hair can be a total mess, yet somehow the beanie always seems to turn my regular bedhead into model-inspired, runway bedhead (which is waaay better).It’s also cheap!I tend to find mine at stores like Forever 21 for under $10.

Stud earrings:Simple, silver studs go with everything and are appropriate for any occasion.I wear this pair on a near daily basis- they are just chunky enough to add a little edge but still a classic.Mine are from Caruso and Company Fine Jewelers, (330) 478-4415 for similar styles.

A Red Lip: Red lips might seem scary, but the truth is you need very little makeup to pull it off.On a daily basis, I do a 2 minute face: black mascara, blush, powder, maybe a little concealer (every mom knows those baby-kept-me-up –all-night circles), and a bold lip.It’s a great compliment to a clean, fresh face but yet always elevates your look. Still wary?Try a punch of pink or a nice berry tone instead."Mom Essential Wardrobe" by vfriedman on Polyvore

No comments:

Post a Comment